Category: Community

Who Dat?! John Churchill Chase

Even as a New Orleans native, there are many times that I drive around and have no clue who some of these streets are named after. The “Who Dat?” series is uncovering the history behind these people. This edition is dedicated to John Churchill Chase.    John Churchill Chase (1905-1986) is likely best known… Read more »

READ MORE

I Got Hot Sauce In My Bag

It’s Hot Sauce Day (January 22nd), and you can’t talk about hot sauce without giving credit to the many Louisiana Hot Sauce producers. Oysters, po-boys, breakfast foods, and Bloody Marys all crave a little heat. Check out some of our favorites and some we just know y’all love.   Hot Sauce for People with… Read more »

READ MORE

Home Sweet Dome

There is a house in New Orleans, it’s called the Superdome. Ok technically she’s called the Mercedes- Benz Superdome, but no one really calls her that, it’s far too formal – she’s the Dome. And right now, maybe more than ever, it is the most famous house in New Orleans. She stands bold and… Read more »

READ MORE

Inspire Our Future!

January 17th is Kid Inventors’ Day. (Not just a random day! It’s Ben Franklin’s birthday. Franklin invented the world’s first swim flippers at age 12!) This got us thinking a lot about how the children of New Orleans have a very unique perspective on life than anywhere else in this country. (Hello! I didn’t… Read more »

READ MORE

Who Dat?: Sophie B Wright

Even as a New Orleans native, there are many times that I drive around and have no clue who some of these streets are named after. The “Who Dat?” series is uncovering the history behind these people. This edition is dedicated to Sophie B Wright.      Sophie B Wright is a very small… Read more »

READ MORE

Who Dat?: Henriette DeLille

Even as a New Orleans native, there are many times that I drive around and have no clue who some of these streets are named after. The “Who Dat?” series is uncovering the history behind these people. This edition is dedicated to Henriette DeLille.      Henriette DeLille   Henriette DeLille (1813-1865) was a… Read more »

READ MORE

Flourishing Fairgrounds

The Fairgrounds neighborhood in New Orleans is one where there is a healthy mix of business and residential. Being in the Fairgrounds means you can easily walk to your coffee shop or neighborhood pub. But, you will also know all your neighbors and can borrow a cup of sugar. While their residents get to… Read more »

READ MORE

Serene St. Anthony/Milneburg

St. Anthony & Milneburg are subdistricts are of the Filmore neighborhood in New Orleans. They are close to the lake, a quick ride to City Park, and have easy access to the interstate. They are both considered some of the most affordable neighborhoods left in the city. While mainly residential, check out a few… Read more »

READ MORE

Happenin’ Hollygrove

Hollygrove is a quiet, mainly residential, New Orleans neighborhood. They have lots of little shotguns and cottages gracing their streets. It’s one of the very few affordable neighborhoods left in the city. With bumpy streets, working-class residents, and a great location – it’s a perfect spot to call home.   Al and Al’s One Stop… Read more »

READ MORE