Category: Community

Utterly Uptown

Uptown. When people hear that, they immediately assume anything from the interstate and up, heading away from downtown. (For newbies, we don’t use north, south, east & west. It’s uptown, downtown, riverside, and lakeside.) There are many, many neighborhoods along the way. The true boundaries of Uptown are from Lasalle to Magazine, then from Napoleon… Read more »

READ MORE

View the Vieux Carre

I am one of *those* New Orleans locals who doesn’t go to the French Quarter. When you manage to drag me across Canal, I always have an amazing time. The French Quarter has  a reputation for being a place for wildness, overly sugary drinks, and tourists. They offer so much more if you get off… Read more »

READ MORE

Holy Moly Cross

First, let me start with Holy Cross is not St. Bernard parish. I never thought I would have to say that, but it came up as an Instagram comment. It’s a little further out, but so worth the extra 5 minutes of drive time. It’s quiet, serene, unpretentious, and (here is the kicker!) affordable! While… Read more »

READ MORE

A Tour of Algiers

Let me start by saying, I’m a tad partial to Algiers since I did grow up there. Feeling a little nostalgic, I wanted to show you a side that many don’t know exist, a side that has been around for 1967, and a brand new addition to the scene. The Algiers area is filled with… Read more »

READ MORE

IDs Please!

“IDs PLEASE!” I’ve yelled it at least a thousand times from behind the bar when a group that looked questionably young came inching through the barroom doors. When I first started out bartending, many people would retort back with something like “Well, how old are you?” Being a bartender under 30 in New Orleans… Read more »

READ MORE

An Afternoon in the 7th Ward

This week, our tour of New Orleans neighborhoods takes a stop in the 7th Ward. My girl Whitney was more than enthused to show us her version of the neighborhood.   Whitney has been in New Orleans for 10 years and has spent the last 3 of them living in the 7th Ward. She loves… Read more »

READ MORE

An Afternoon In Algiers Point

It’s all so dreamy. That’s what I kept muttering to myself as my friend, Jonathan, & I strolled through the streets of Algiers Point. My very first apartment living alone was in this great, little New Orleans neighborhood. My friend Jonathan was ready to show me his favorite spots with the only stipulation being,… Read more »

READ MORE

The One Where the Who Dats Share the TVs

Yes, we are in New Orleans. We are all wonderful residents of WhoDatVille. But, being residents of such a glorious place tends to others wanting to move down here too. When that happens, sometimes we must share the screens with other football fans so they continue to feel wanted. (Except the Falcons fans.) Many of… Read more »

READ MORE

An Evening in Broadmoor

Broadmoor is one of more quiet neighborhoods in New Orleans. It’s extremely residential and doesn’t have a lot of restaurants and shops. There may not be a lot of commercial businesses, but their beautiful homes are all the sights some may need. But, let me show you a few of the activities they do offer!  … Read more »

READ MORE

An Afternoon in Riverside

The neighborhoods of East & West Riverside have long been referred to as Uptown. I’m here to tell you they aren’t. These two sections of town have a large intermingling of renters and homeowners. There are renters in these areas that have been in the same house for 10+ years. There are young families moving… Read more »

READ MORE