Category: Community

Dance Like No One is Watching

Picture it, Mardi Gras in New Orleans in nineteen eighty…. something. Young children were shaking their groove thangs to every band that came by.  The only dance teams you saw were either the ones marching with the bands or the Gold Dusters, as they are eternal. Fast forward to 2018 and we are now being… Read more »

READ MORE

Genuine Gentilly Terrace

Gentilly Terrace is one of my absolute favorites neighborhoods in the city. It’s adorable cottages, that have lots of old school touches, grace every block. You can find chipped tile walkways, mid century modern tiles, and those fairy looking houses with the sharp points in the front. With a very active neighborhood association, unique architecture… Read more »

READ MORE

Hostel Takeover

When I began trying to track down hostels in New Orleans, it proved to be more difficult than one would expect. While you can google and find plenty of them – many of them are not for Louisiana residents and wouldn’t provide me with any information.   The Quisby is the only one in town… Read more »

READ MORE

Easygoing East Carrollton

East Carrollton is such a mix of families, businesses, and temporary college kids that I’m never sure how to describe it fully to people. There are parts of the East Carrollton neighborhood that are so quiet, you would never know there are a couple of universities within spitting distance. Hanging around the Maple Street &… Read more »

READ MORE

Park Talk

The City Park neighborhood has lots of delicious food and fun bar options. It’s a walkable area that has access to the streetcar line too. The best part of this neighborhood is the actual park! City Park has 1300 acres of fun to access. You can rent bikes, go kayaking, meditate under a tree –… Read more »

READ MORE

Fantastically Fontainebleau

The New Orleans neighborhood of Fontainebleau is a mainly residential area. Their commercial businesses are largely located in the same spot – which is great for your one-stop shopping! You can find the majority clustered all in at Calhoun and Claiborne. Here are my current top 3!   Elio’s Wine Warehouse Elio’s Wine Warehouse has been… Read more »

READ MORE

Intoxicating Irish Channel

The Irish Channel neighborhood has a rich history. A large portion of its boundaries were the City of Lafayette, before being annexed into New Orleans. Current day, it’s a very hip, walkable area where you’re going to know all your neighbors. There are plenty of brand new builds that has some old school residents who… Read more »

READ MORE

Lovely Lakeview

For new people rolling through the neighborhood of Lakeview, they might believe this is a newer section of town. That is due to the post-Katrina world we are in that Lakeview had a lot of rebuilding to do. Many homes were torn down and rebuilt so they were higher off the ground. Lakeview was semi-rural… Read more »

READ MORE

Weird Homes Tour

When I saw there was a Weird Homes Tour in New Orleans, I had to know how weird it could get. Some of architecture is just different, not peculiar. Once I perused their website, it is clear that it could be collections of oddities, performance artists, etc. After seeing that, I knew New Orleans wouldn’t… Read more »

READ MORE

Majorly Marigny

Oh, the Marigny. This New Orleans neighborhood is bursting with life. There is a constant stream people coming and going; however, it always feels very laid back even with all the happenings. Lots of locals find themselves in the Marigny for Mardi Gras Day every year, but not a lot of times in between the… Read more »

READ MORE