365 New Orleans is focused on local artists and businesses. Every single day, for one year, a new person or place will be highlighted. Follow along on Instagram: @365NewOrleans
NOMAF expands the services of the NOMC and its mission to keep New Orleans music ALIVE by sustaining New Orleans’ traditional music cultures. We do this by providing cost-efficient access to comprehensive, wellness education and preventive health care, mental health and social services. Regardless of the patients’ ability to pay, NOMC is the medical home for more than 2,500 local musicians and tradition bearers.
NOMAF VISION STATEMENT
- May all of us who serve our organization have eyes to see those musicians, tradition bearers and cultural workers who are rendered invisible by the American health care system and social services agencies.
- May we foster the compassion to open our arms and hearts to reach out to include them.
- May we grow the wisdom to create and to partner with service providers to provide meaningful programs and services to insure the survival and well-being of those we serve.
- May we serve as community advocates for those whose voices are unheard.
1. Tell me more about y’all.
We keep our performers alive. So much that is loved and written about New Orleans is about the music, the Indians, and the social and pleasure clubs. What people don’t know is that the people who make this happen tend to live in poverty. Not having access to healthcare is a early grave for them.
2. How long have you been in business?
21 years. After Katrina, we lost the clinic, our patients, the office – everything. We quickly realized that we needed to come back for the performers. We did anything we could to bring music back because it was a beacon of hope for many.
3. How do people find you online?
4. What is lesser known about your business that you wish more people knew?
We are dedicated to mental health. There is a high risk of suicide in the creative community. People should not suffer in silence.
The campaign is called “You Got This.” You Got This is a compassionate, inclusive performing arts mental health outreach program designed expressly for our creative community, including music, dance and art students, to help calm suicidal thoughts, feelings and plans by promoting optimal mental health self-care.
5. Lagniappe Info.
Join our Crescent City Classic team! Text TEAMNOMC to 96000.
Our clinic is located at 3700 St. Charles on the 2nd Floor.
We are the only clinic in the US that provides comprehensive medicine and occupational health care to performers. We look at this as a team approach in healthcare – how can we alleviate pain, how can we get you safe food to eat, how can we help with mental health.
Our clinic covers physical therapy and acupuncture as well.
If you’re a musician and you need help, call 504-412-1366.
Head to their website to make a donation today!